Two students sitting down talking

Funding for undergraduate carers

We are committed to providing support for those with caring responsibilities who want to go on to higher education. This page outlines funding opportunities and additional support available to carers.

Government funding for carers

You can view details about the funding you may expect to receive and how to apply on our Undergraduate funding page.

There is no specific government funding for full-time students who are carers. If you are a part-time student, you may continue to receive the Carer's Allowance (see below).

Funding available from UWE Bristol

UWE Bursary (non-repayable) 2017

New full-time students who receive funding from Student Finance England (non-NHS funded) who meet the carer's criteria for the UWE Bursary will receive £2,000 in the first year, paid in three instalments.

To be considered for the UWE Bursary:

  • you must be living with the person you are caring for up until the start of your course
  • you must be receiving specific benefits relating to their illness or disability.

We will ask you for evidence of your caring responsibilities, such as a statement from a professional person known to you such as a teacher or doctor. Alternatively, you can provide evidence of receipt of Carer's Allowance if you are receiving this before the start of your full-time course at UWE Bristol.

Students are only eligible to receive one bursary of £2,000, even if they also fall into another priority group such as being a care leaver.

If you are unsure whether your situation fits into the above criteria, or if you have questions about the evidence we require then please email

Part-time students will be eligible for a £500 bursary for each year of study.

Continuing full-time students who received a bursary in previous years will receive £1,000 per year.

Learner Support Fund

If you are supported by Student Finance Wales, Northern Ireland or the Student Awards Agency for Scotland, you will not be entitled to the UWE Bursary. However, you will be a priority for support from the Learner Support Fund which can provide an equivalent level of non-repayable awards as the Bursary. Applications to the Learner Support Fund are means-tested.

Higher education and Carer's Allowance

If you are receiving Carer's Allowance, this will usually stop once you become a full-time student, even if you continue living with the person you are caring for.

You may still be able to qualify for Carer's Allowance if you are required to study for less than 21 hours, for example you are exempted from part of the course due to previous qualifications or experience. 

More information is available on the NHS Choices website.

If you have any questions please email us on

Helpful resources

Back to top