Student sitting on the harbouside

Funding for undergraduate care leavers

We are committed to providing support for those leaving care who want to go on to higher education.

You may be entitled to money from three different places: the government, UWE Bristol and your Local Authority.

Government funding for care leavers in 2017

Qualifying for maximum funding (Student finance)

You will receive maximum funding below if you meet the following criteria:

  • you are under 25 on 1 September and
  • you have been in the care of a Local Authority for at least 13 weeks around your 16th birthday and
  • you have not returned to live with your natural parents since leaving care and
  • you will have less than £25,000 taxable income (part-time earnings are ignored).

If you meet this criteria, you should receive the funding described below.

More details about the funding you may expect to receive and how to apply are available in our Undergraduate funding section.

University funding

UWE Care Leaver Bursary (non-repayable)

New first year students who meet the Care Leaver criteria for the UWE Bursary will receive £2,000 in the first year, paid in three instalments. In both your second and third years, you will receive £1,000.

Students are only eligible to receive one bursary of £2,000, even if they also fall into another priority group, such as being a carer.

Continuing full-time students who received a bursary in previous years will receive £1,000 per year.

Learner Support Fund

In addition to the bursary, you will be a priority for support from the Learner’s Support Fund if you have additional financial needs such as childcare or high travel costs. Applications are means-tested.

More information can be found
on the Learner Support Fund page.

Local Authority Funding (non-repayable)

As a minimum, your Local Authority will provide at least £2,000 during your course (some Local Authorities will provide more), but how this grant is paid will depend on your Local Authority. Please speak to your personal adviser or social worker to find out what extra funding is available to you.

If you have any further questions about funding and finance, please email the UWE Cares Team at

Helpful resources

Back to top