Students talking at the harbourside

Frequently asked questions about placements

Below are a number of answers to frequently asked questions about placements. You can also find out more about the benefits of doing a placement and how to find a suitable placement on our web pages.

Who can I contact for support while on placement?

As a full-time student at UWE Bristol you will also continue to benefit from the full range of support services that we provide.

In addition, a dedicated Placement Support Team will be available for support and advice on workplace matters. Alternatively, for specific questions about your placement module coursework you should contact your academic tutor.

How much do sandwich placements earn?

Most sandwich placement salaries fall within the £14,000–£18,000 bracket, however, this can vary significantly depending on the industry and location.

Some sectors such as the charity sector and statutory services may offer unpaid placements. If you are considering undertaking an unpaid placement it is essential that you carefully consider how you will support yourself financially and have a clearly defined role to ensure that you'll be gaining worthwhile experience.

For students on sandwich placements see further guidance on finance during your placement year.

Can I work as self-employed on placement?

Students from the Department of Computer Science and Creative Technology and the Faculty of Business and Law have the option to undertake a Self-Employed Sandwich Placement Year. Note that this option is not available to Tier 4 visa students due to immigration rules.

The UWE Enterprise Team offer advice and practical assistance to help you set up and run your own business and it is highly recommended that self-employed placement students either work with the team to develop their business or obtain equivalent alternative support.

The 2016/17 deadline to apply for the UWE Enterprise Team’s dedicated self-employed placement support programme is 1 August 2016. However all students are still able to access the regular series of workshops and classes throughout the year.

In order to have your self-employed placement approved you will need to complete the Placement Proposal Form, detailing what you plan to do and how you will do it, including how you will access business support during the placement. It is the responsibility of the student to find and secure suitable business support for the duration of their self-employed placement, either by applying to join the Enterprise team’s support programme or sourcing independent support.

In some cases students may be asked to take part in an informal interview with your academic Placement Approver. Without a clear plan and access to suitable business support or mentoring students are unlikely to have their Placement Proposal signed-off but will be advised of the criteria for acceptability and how they can meet them by the Placement Approver.

Who can do a placement?

You can find out if your course includes a placement by checking your programme specification. Your placement module will be assessed as part of your degree and during your placement you will be expected to complete coursework related to your workplace experience.

If your programme does not offer a placement module do not despair. UWE Bristol Careers can offer advice on a range of other work experience and internship opportunities. To explore your options you can search opportunities online or come in to see us.

I am an international student. Can I work full time on placement?

As a student with a Tier 4 (General) visa you are permitted go on a placement and work full time if you meet certain conditions. View further guidance on work placements and your visa.

Do I still have to register and pay fees?

All placements, including sandwich placements, are assessed as part of your degree. As well as having your placement confirmed you also need to register and pay fees for that academic year.

This ensures you can:

  • Submit academic work and have it marked.
  • Receive academic support from UWE Bristol.
  • Use the University IT, library and other support services.
  • Have your tuition fee loan released to the University by the Student Loans Company.
  • Qualify for Council Tax exemption and other student discounts.

See further information about fees and funding.

Can I still apply for student finance?

You may be eligible for a tuition fee loan and reduced living cost loan. Please refer to our funding guidance for full-time undergraduate students for further information.

Please check with your student funding body to clarify the application procedure.

If you have any questions about fees and funding, please make an appointment with a UWE Bristol Money Adviser by calling +44 (0)117 32 85678. Alternatively, visit an Information Point.

I have a health condition or disability. What support can I get from the University?

If you are a disabled student and have reasonable adjustments you might want to discuss adjustments specific to placements. If you do not have an agreement or if you want further advice, please contact Disability Services initially.

Is there a deadline for confirming a placement?

You need to allow sufficient time to investigate, secure and complete a suitable placement in order to meet your registration and coursework requirements. For sandwich placements this means meeting registration deadlines for completing your enrolment on placement for the new academic year.

Found a placement?

If you have already found a placement opportunity, follow our step-by-step guide to confirming your placement.

Get in touch with the UWE Bristol Careers services

Our Careers services are there to support you with careers coaching.

Contact Careers

Back to top