How to choose your modules
If your next period of study includes optional modules you will now need to make your choices.
Your programme of study may include:
Compulsory modules – these modules must be taken (and passed) in order to achieve your award.
Core modules – you are required to take a specified minimum number of credits from a core group of modules.
Optional modules – you can choose any of these if you have any spare choices to make.
Your modules (including compulsory) should add up to 120 credits for each academic year. Your compulsory modules will automatically be selected on your behalf.
However, if your next period of study includes core and/or optional modules and you are:
- a student joining a new programme, or
- a student progressing to their next year of study
you now need to make your choices. Please read the following information before logging in to select your modules.
When to select your modules
Students will be able to select their modules from 12:00 on Monday 6 March 2017 to 16:00 on Friday 17 March 2017.
If you do not select your modules by the deadline, the University will select them on your behalf. There will be an opportunity for you to request to change your option modules at the start of the relevant study period.
Nursing and Midwifery students will be able to select their modules from 12:00 on Monday 20 February 2017 to 16:00 on Friday 3 March 2017.
Things you may need to consider
- Please check you are on the correct course and year. If not, please contact a Student Support Adviser.
- You must normally take 120 credits in each academic year. If you fail a module in one year, you may be able to take it as an additional module the following year, but this cannot be guaranteed. There may also be an additional charge to retake a module.
- If you are selecting a module that has a pre-requisite this means that you must have passed the pre-requisite module before selecting your chosen module.
- If you are selecting a module that has a co-requisite this means that you must study the co-requisite module alongside your chosen module.
Criteria for selection and re-allocation
- Some modules have restricted availability and places are allocated on a first-come, first-served basis.
- If there is a timetable clash or a module that is no longer running, you will be contacted by a Student Support Adviser to select a different module.
- Once an option module is full, you will not be able to select it and so you will have to make another choice.
Your module selection is not confirmed until your timetable has been released.
How to select your modules
You are now ready to log in to the Online Module Choices system and select your modules. Please remember to click on the 'Submit and Save Choices' button before logging out. Your module selections are used in scheduling teaching resources and creating your timetable.
To view your module specifications for the Faculty of Arts, Creative Industries and Education (ACE), the Faculty of Business and Law (FBL) and the Faculty of Health and Applied Sciences (HAS) please click on the relevant module code once you are logged into the Online Module Choices system.
Faculty of Environment and Technology (FET) module information is available from the FET tab on Blackboard.
Module information for the Department of Applied Sciences will be linked to from this page by 1 March 2017.
You can get additional guidance from our frequently asked questions.
Contact a Student Support Adviser
If you have any questions and would like to speak to a Student Support Adviser, please book an appointment via an Information Point.
- +44 (0)117 32 85678