Going part-time

The University's modular framework normally allows you to attend your programme of study on either a full-time or part-time basis.

Things you need to know

Before you change from full-time to part-time attendance, you should be aware that:

  • By spreading one year of study over two academic years, you are likely to extend the number of years it will take to complete your course. Students funded by Student Finance (England, Wales etc) are entitled to an additional year of tuition fee support on top of the ordinary duration of the course. So for example, if your course is a three-year course, you are entitled to four years of tuition fee support.

    If you have already used your extra year either on your current course or on a previous course, you may have to pay the tuition fee yourself if you extend the time it takes to complete your course. You should seek advice from the Money Advice and Funds Service.
  • If you are registered on a full-time course but taking fewer than 120 credits, you will be charged a module fee for those credits. You will still be classed by Student Finance as a full-time student and still be exempt from council tax liability. You will continue to be entitled to full-time living cost support until you complete your honours degree.
  • If you decide to withdraw in writing from your full-time course and register on a part-time course, you may be eligible for financial support as a part-time student.

International students

If you are an international student, making any change to your course may have implications for your immigration status and the completion of your studies. Please contact the Advice and Enquiry Service for advice.

Course specifications

Other helpful web pages

Back to top