Science Communication Masterclass
About the Masterclass
UWE's Science Communication (SCU) Masterclass is an intensive, short course created to provide professional development in science communication. The masterclass draws on the existing expertise of the team that delivers UWE's popular and practical MSc in Science Communication.
The UWE Science Communication Masterclass runs roughly every six to nine months. If you would like to be kept informed of future opportunities, please register your interest by sending a short e-mail mentioning the Masterclass to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Registration for the SCU Masterclass taking place 24 - 27 November 2014 is now closed.
Topics for the Masterclasses
- The historical and social contexts of science communication
- Scientific literacy and public understanding
- Publics and engagement
- Face-to-face, media and online methods of engaging with the public
- Show, tell or pitch - During an interactive session, delegates will have an opportunity to present creative ideas, products and examples, either from their own organisation and workplace or based on their time within At-Bristol. This will be followed by five minutes for questions and feedback from your peers and tutors. Delegates are provided with further information to prepare for this activity when registering for the Masterclass.)
Interactive parallel sessions
- Adapting to audiences
- Facilitation skills
- Interviewing and being interviewed
- Print media in the new media mix
- Social media as a communication tool
- Strategic and creative thinking
Please note: Where possible, parallel sessions are allocated according to delegate preferences. In the unlikely event of insufficient take up of a particular parallel session, it may be necessary to cancel it. Also parallel sessions may be oversubscribed. In both such cases, delegates will be allocated their next preferred session.
If you have any additional queries regarding this and future courses, please send them to Jane Wooster, course administrator.