Professor Alan Winfield
- Professor of Robot Ethics, UWE Bristol
- Visiting Professor, Department of Electronics, University of York
I'm an engineer and academic at UWE Bristol, and I conduct research in mobile robotics within the Bristol Robotics Lab.
I am deeply interested in mobile robots for two reasons:
- they are complex and potentially useful machines that embody just about every design challenge and discipline there is
- robots allow us to address some deep questions about life, emergence, culture and intelligence in a radically new way, that is by building models.
Thus, robotics is for me both engineering and experimental philosophy.
I'm committed to the widest possible dissemination of research and ideas in science, engineering and technology and I believe that robots provide us with a wonderful vehicle for public engagement. Actually I would go a stage further and argue that intelligent robots will become ubiquitous in the near future and we therefore need to start a dialogue now about the ethical and moral questions that will arise.
- UWE Staff Profile: Professor Alan Winfield
- Email: email@example.com
- Telephone: +44 (0) 1173 28 2644
- Faculty of Environment and
University of the West of England, Bristol
Coldharbour Lane, Bristol BS16 1QY