Professor Alan Winfield
- Hewlett-Packard Professor of Electronic Engineering, UWE Bristol
- Hon. Visiting Professor, Department of Electronics, University of York
- Director of the UWE Bristol Science Communication Unit
- EPSRC Senior Media Fellow
- Associate Dean
I'm an engineer and academic at UWE Bristol, and I conduct research in mobile robotics within the Bristol Robotics Lab.
I am deeply interested in mobile robots for two reasons:
- they are complex and potentially useful machines that embody just about every design challenge and discipline there is
- robots allow us to address some deep questions about life, emergence, culture and intelligence in a radically new way, that is by building models.
Thus, robotics is for me both engineering and experimental philosophy.
I'm committed to the widest possible dissemination of research and ideas in science, engineering and technology and I believe that robots provide us with a wonderful vehicle for public engagement. Actually I would go a stage further and argue that intelligent robots will become ubiquitous in the near future and we therefore need to start a dialogue now about the ethical and moral questions that will arise.
Faculty of Environment and Technology
University of the West of England, Bristol
Coldharbour Lane, Bristol BS16 1QY
Phone: +44 117 328 2211
Fax: +44 117 328 2734