The Concordat to Support the Career Development of Researchers – UWE Bristol's plan for implementation and review.
The Concordat to Support the Career Development of Researchers was launched in 2008. It sets out the expectations and responsibilities of researchers, their managers, employers and funders. It aims to increase the attractiveness and sustainability of research careers in the UK and to improve the quantity, quality and impact of research for the benefit of UK society and the economy.
UWE Bristol is committed to enhancing the support for early career researchers as part of its strategic plan, and the responsibility for implementation of the Concordat is placed with the Pro Vice-Chancellor (Research and Business Engagement), the Research and Knowledge Exchange Executive, Human Resources, the Researchers' Forum Planning Group and Research, Business and Innovation (RBI).
Analysis and planning
In the first half of 2011, a working group led by the Researcher Development Manager and the HR Manager (Projects and Staff development), conducted an internal analysis of UWE Bristol's progress to date with respect to the implementation of the principles of the Concordat.
The analysis took into account the views of Early Career Researchers from the Careers in Research Online Survey (CROS) undertaken in 2009/2011, the UWE Staff Satisfaction Survey (2008) and specific input from the Researchers' Forum in the interim, which resulted in the drafting of the our initial gap analysis and implementation plan. In recogniton, UWE Bristol was awarded the HR Excellence in Research Award by the European Commission in January 2012.
The UWE Bristol HR Excellence in Research Award was renewed in recognition of this in January 2014.
In December 2015, the working group updated the previous implementation plan and conducted a four year assessment of progress for external review and prepared a new action plan to cover the period 2016 - 2018. These can be accessed below:
- HR Excellence in Research action plan 2016 - 2018
- HR Excellence in Research four year assessment for external review
Concordat implementation activities
Since 2011, the following Concordat implementation activities have been undertaken:
- Establishment of the Researchers’ Forum for the launch of the Concordat.
- Concordat profiled on the institution's internal and external web pages.
- Promoted the Vice Chancellor's Early Career Researcher (formally SPUR) funding scheme.
- Researcher Development Framework embedded into the Researcher Skills Development Programme.
- Researchers' Forum used to promote Concordat-related discussion and development with both Early Career Researchers and Principal Investigators.
- Administration of the Careers in Research Online Survey (CROS) in 2009, 2011, 2013 and 2015. The outcomes and priorities have been and are being explored in the Researchers’ Forum.
- Establishment of a direct line of representation to the Pro Vice-Chancellor (Research and Business Engagement) via the Researchers' Forum. The Forum is convened by an Associate Dean (Research) who sits on the Research and Knowledge Exchange Executive.
- Increase in the number of research staff representatives on the planning group of the Researchers' Forum (One per faculty).
- Increased involvement from Principal Investigators to contribute to career development activities run as part of Researchers' Forum events.
Recognition of achievements
UWE Bristol has been granted the European Commission's HR Excellence in Research Award. The award recognises the University's outstanding work in developing and supporting its research staff.