Boards and committees
Information about the boards and committees that govern postgraduate research. Terms of reference for each committee are available.
Graduate School Committee (GSC)
The purpose of this committee is to be responsible to the Research and Knowledge Exchange Committee (and where appropriate, the Learning, Teaching and Student Experience Committee) for the implementation of the Graduate School, its processes and policies with the aim of supporting a sustainable, high-quality postgraduate research student experience at the University. The committee is chaired by the Graduate School Director and includes Faculty Directors of Research and representatives from the PGR community.
GSC dates 15/16
- Contact: Victoria.Nash@uwe.ac.uk
Faculty Research Degrees Committee (FRDC)
The purpose of the faculty-specific Research Degrees Committees is to be responsible to the Graduate School Committee for promoting high-quality postgraduate research education across all disciplines. To be responsible to the AQEC for implementation of the University’s Quality Management and Enhancement Framework as it relates to Research Degrees. The committee implements policies and procedures for the assessment of Postgraduate Researchers (PGR) and makes recommendations for the approval of examination arrangements for PGRs to the Research Degrees Award Board. Committees are chaired by the Research Degree Director (or equivalent) and members include appropriate Associate Deans and Associate Heads of Department.
Arts, Creative Industries and Education (ACE)
Members of the Committee:
- Dr David Greenham, Director of Postgraduate Research (Chair).
- Dr Kate Beeching, Department Research Degrees Co-ordinator, Arts and Cultural Industries.
- Dr Anna Piasecki, Department Research Degrees Co-ordinator, Arts and Cultural Industries.
- Dr Jane Andrews, Department Research Degrees Co-ordinator, Education and Childhood.
- Dr Richard Waller, Department Research Degrees Co-ordinator, Education and Childhood.
- Dr Clare Johnson, Department Research Degrees Co-ordinator, School of Art and Design and School of Film and Journalism.
- Professor Peter Rawlings, Associate Dean: ACE.
- Luke Rudge PGR Rep.
- Clayton Davies PGR Rep.
Faculty of Business and Law (FBL)
Members of the Committee:
- Dr Svetlana Cicmil, Director of Post Graduate Research (Chair).
- Professor Nicholas O’Regan, Associate Dean (Research & Innovation).
- Associate Heads of Department (Research) or equivalent:
- Professor Tim Hughes;
- Professor Don Webber;
- Professor Nicholas Ryder.
- Director of Studies and Research Centre Representatives:
- Professor Robert Luther, Lecturer - Accounting and Finance;
- Professor Sue Durbin, Professor in Human Resource Management;
- Professor Hazel Conley;
- Dr Daniela Gabor, Associate Professor;
- Professor Peter Case, Professor of Organisation Studies;
- Professor Jona Razzaque, Postgraduate Scheme Director;
- Henry Hillman, PGR rep;
- Udonna Okeke, PGR rep;
- Laura Bentley, PGR rep.
Faculty of Environment and Technology (FET)
Members of the committee:
- Dr Alistair Clark, Director of Postgraduate Research (Chair).
- Professor Glenn Lyons, Associate Dean (Research and Knowledge Exchange).
- Dr Avril Maddrell, Associate Head of Department - Geography and Environmental Management.
- Dr Colin Booth, Associate Head of Department – Architecture and the Built Environment.
- Professor Larry Bull, Associate Head of Department – Computer Science and Creative Technologies.
- Dr Matt Studley, Associate Head of Department - Engineering Design and Mathematics.
Health and Applied Sciences (HAS)
Members of the committee:
- Dr Tim Moss (Chair).
- Professor Jenny Ames, Associate Dean RKE.
- Dr Mary Cramp, AHP Associate Head of Department.
- Professor John Hancock, AS Associate Head of Department.
- Dr John Albarran, Nursing and Midwifery Associate Head of Department.
- Dr Peter Clegg, HSS Associate Head of Department.
- Jackie Barker, PGR rep.
- Kelechi Okeke, PGR rep.
FRDC committee dates
|ACE Committee Dates||HAS Committee Dates||FBL Committee Dates||FET Committee Dates|
|12 October 2016||19 October 2016||11 October 2016||25 October 2016|
|07 December 2016||07 December 2016||22 November 2016||13 December 2016|
|18 January 2017||25 January 2017||17 January 2017||31 January 2017|
|01 March 2017||01 March 2017||07 March 2017||07 March 2017|
|12 April 2017||12 April 2017||18 April 2017||25 April 2017|
|24 May 2017||07 June 2017||06 June 2017||06 June 2017|
|12 July 2017||26 July 2017||18 July 2017|
* Please note that paper deadlines are in place for all committees, but vary according to faculty
Research Degrees Award Board (RDAB)
The Research Degrees Award Board will receive the recommended outcome from the viva voce examination alongside outcomes in taught modules from field boards and on this basis will make recommendations for the award of the appropriate research degree.
Committee dates and deadlines
|Paper deadline||RDAB meeting date|
|04 October 2016||18 October 2016|
|22 November 2016||06 December 2016|
|07 February 2017||21 February 2017|
|18 April 2017||02 May 2017|
|06 June 2017||20 June 2017|
|29 August 2017||12 September 2017|