Guide to the inter-library loan service
What can I request?
If we don't hold the item or information you need, we will do our best to obtain it for you from the British Library, or other source, via an inter-library loan.
We can obtain books, conference proceedings, theses*, reports, and photocopies of journal articles or individual conference papers.
* Most theses are now available directly from British Library’s Ethos.
How much does it cost?
If you're eligible to make a request, the service is free (the Library pays the fees on your behalf).
Who can make a request?
All UWE Bristol students and staff.
How many requests can I make per year?
There is no limit to the number of requests you can make, on the understanding that these requests are being made to support your learning, research, and teaching objectives.
UWE Bristol students studying at partner institutions and staff supporting them are not entitled to inter-library loans.
How are requests delivered?
Requests for journal articles are generally delivered in electronic format. They will be sent to the email address on your library record as an attachment which you can then read on screen or print out. If you need a print out rather than electronic format, please ask library staff.
Please read this advice from the British Library on opening electronic delivery documents.
The following conditions apply for copyright reasons:
- Documents must be downloaded within 30 days of the link being sent. When you open the link you will be promoted to save the document on your device.
- Once downloaded you will be able to access the file electronically for up to three years but you will only be able to print once.
For book requests, you will be informed when it is available for collection. Please collect books promptly as they may have a limited loan period. You will need your UWE Bristol ID card so that books can be issued to you. Some items are for reference and must be used in the library, at the request of the lending library.
How long does it take to obtain a request?
It varies depending upon availability of the item from the British Library. If you haven't heard anything after two weeks please enquire further.
It may be possible to renew items obtained through the inter-library loan service. Please contact the library a few days before your item is due for return as it may be necessary to contact the lending library.
You are responsible for all items issued to you and liable to pay for any lost material. The British Library charges a minimum of £129.50 (including VAT) for lost books.
The British Library also charges up to £129.50 (including VAT) for books which are not returned on time. You are liable for these charges, which cannot be waived even if the book is subsequently returned. UWE Bristol library fines are also payable on all overdue books obtained from other libraries.
What do I need to do?
- Make sure the item is not already held by UWE Bristol library.
- Provide as much information as possible about the item.
- If you need two or more articles from the same journal issue please apply to borrow the whole issue. We can not supply more than one article per issue for copyright reasons.
- If the item you require is for a commercial purpose, or you are unsure, please contact your Faculty Librarian. You may find the British Library guidance helpful when deciding if your request is needed for commercial research.