Emergency and critical care
Emergency and critical care research focuses on immediately life-threatening conditions and emergency and urgent care delivered in both community and hospital settings. It also encompasses the early hospital management of critical illness and injury.
Research topics of interest include:
- Out of hospital cardiac arrest
- Acute cardiovascular assessment and rehabilitation
- Emergency airway management
- Pre-hospital care and ambulance design
- Acute pain management
- Early diagnosis of urgent and emergency care conditions, particularly sepsis
- The impact of drugs and alcohol
- Workforce and service delivery in emergency care
The group has a record of successful completion of clincally-based and highly applied research, funded principally by the National Institute for Health Research (NIHR).
Recent outputs have been published in high quality international journals (eg NEJM, BMJ, Lancet Respiratory Medicine, Trauma, Emergency Medicine Journal, Heart, Resuscitation).
For further information, please contact Professor Jonathan Benger.