Assessment of the UK Local Authority’s Air Quality Review and Assessment Procedure for the UK Government
Funding Bodies: Department of Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (Defra), Welsh Government, Scottish Government, Greater London Authority, Department of Environment, Northern Ireland
Collaborators: Air Quality Consultants Ltd
Dates: 1999 - 2011
AQMRC supported Defra and the Devolved Administrations in the delivery of the Review and Assessment process for over a decade. The support provided to the UK Government and UK local authorities included:
- Contribution to the development of the UK Technical Guidance and Policy Guidance since the inception of Local Air Quality Management (LAQM)
- The evaluation of numerous technical and process aspects of the LAQM process in the UK, the outcomes of which fed directly into the 2003 and 2008/9 updates of official guidance and the In-House Policy Unit’s Review of LAQM.
- Provision of technical and policy support to local authorities through the provision of a helpdesk service.
- Official appraisal of all UK Local Authority Review and Assessment Reports submitted from 1999-2010 on behalf of the UK Government for sound science and adherence to guidance which included extensive detailed air quality monitoring and dispersion modelling assessment.
- Development of clear and concise protocols for official feedback and conflict resolution.
- Provision of data for national reporting purposes. through the development and population of bespoke database e.g. Air Quality Management Area statistics.
- Support in answering UK Parliamentary Questions.
For more details please e-mail Dr Enda Hayes.