The AQMRC is regularly involved in research advances, policy development and other news events.
We update the AQMRC news blog with event collaboration, the latest research and other news to come out of the Centre.
Latest from the AQMRC news blog
- Ben discusses air pollution on Voice of Islam Breakfast Show
Ben discussed the global causes and consequences of air pollution with other contributors on the Voice of Islam Breakfast Show this morning. Also discussed briefly were the ways of improving air quality globally. The breakfast show podcast can be found here: http://voiceofislam.co.uk/podcasts/breakfast-show-podcast-23-05-2017/ in due course.
- UWE ClairCity Team heading to Hungary
The UWE ClairCity team is heading to Hungary en masse to attend ClairCity project meetings and our first Annual Conference in Szentendre just north of Budapest. Jo, Laura and Corra are running training events for the project partners on social media and how to run the Delphi process. Jim is chairing a special session with the External Advisory Board. While, Enda, Tim and Andy are all presenting at the Conference and running dedicated work packages sessions. More details of the conference can be found here http://www.claircity.eu/2017/02/28/claircity-conference-agenda-released/. It should be an exciting three days!!
- Enda interviewed by DESMOG UK
Enda was interview by DESMOG UK who were investigating funding cuts on the local authorities and the impact it has had on their ability to fulfil their LAQM responsibilities. Article can be found here - https://www.desmog.uk/2017/05/19/local-authority-air-pollution-reporting-failures
- Tim to speak at Institution of Civil Engineers 'Big Debate'Tim has been invited to participate in the Institution of Civil Engineers Big Debate where panellists are invited to argue for and against a topic. This year it will take place on Monday 5th June 2017 from 18:30 to 20:00 in the Thomas Telford Theatre of One Great George Street. (see the link here: https://www.ice.org.uk/events/the-big-debate-a-growing-city-is-a-polluting-city)
The topic is 'A growing city is a polluting city: Will London always have an air quality problem?'.
- AQMRC contributes to NERC/ASDC WorkshopEnda was invited by the Association of Science and Discovery Centres and NERC to an 'ideas charette' for a new initiative called Our Planet Earth. Funded by NERC, ASDC in association with Eden Project, Natural History Museum and Dynamic Earth are developing an inspirational and exciting national hands-on environmental science programme celebrating the science of the natural environment, the latest research and the scientists who make it happen, through activities and experiments for families and the wider public delivered through the UK's science and discovery centres and science museums. The ideas charette brought together people from a variety of backgrounds to come up with new ideas and to address specific questions including NERC scientists, university researchers as well as public engagement professionals from ASDC, Dynamic Earth, Eden Project, Natural History Museum and others.
Enda gave a presentation on AQMRC research such as the NERC funded CADTIME, EndotoxII and Biomold projects and utilising props like the Bristol AQMA Floor Map, Enda demonstrated the approaches that AQMRC have utilised to communicate and engage the public. Enda and AQMRC hope to continue supporting the initiative as it develops in the coming months to ensure that air pollution is part of this exciting initiative.
- Tim giving presentation to Ricardo-AEA
On Wednesday 26th April, Tim will be giving an ‘Airspot’ seminar at Ricardo-AEA, Harwell on the RCUK funded Motoring and vehicle Ownership and Trends (MOT) project (www.MOTproject.net)
- Jo on ITV Westcountry News tonight
ITV Westcountry News will be reporting this evening in their 6 pm bulletin on air pollution and proximity to nursery schools. Jo was asked to contribute as an air quality expert to talk about the health effects and management options, in which she highlighted the ClairCity research AQMRC are currently involved in (www.claircity.eu).
- Tim has invited piece in Nature-Energy
Nature-Energy has just published an invited “News and Views” piece by Tim.
The article “Public engagement: Building energy futures” discusses issues around the need for both greater public engagement and greater consideration of the social realm within the development of future climate and energy scenarios. The piece is linked to a research article by Christina Demski and colleagues at Cardiff University which examines the influence of different framings in the use of the UK government’s 2050 calculator.
Tim’s article: http://www.nature.com/articles/nenergy201730
Demski et al.’s article http://www.nature.com/articles/nenergy201727
- Everyday Futures essay in ACM Interactions journal
Tim has just had an essaypublished in the ACM journal Interactions.
The essay , co-written with Georgia Newmarch at Lancaster University, is titled “The Future is Already Here…It’s Just not Very Evenly Distributed” is a quote from sci-fi author William Gibson. The essay twists the original intended sentence to examine how the rectification of current social inequalities needs to play a greater role in the development of future climate change and energy scenarios.
- Ben speaks about air pollution in Welsh on S4C
Ben spoke about air pollution visibility on 'Newyddion 9', the Welsh language TV station S4C's 9 o'clock news programme on Tuesday. Huw Brunt, a PhD student within the AQMRC was also interviewed in his capacity as a Public Health Wales representative.
Latest from UWE's Environment news
- Expert available to comment on the government's consultation on a clean air plan
- New approach to tackle air pollution
- Double success in prestigious international sustainability awards
- Double nomination in prestigious international sustainability awards
- UWE Bristol and The Students' Union record best ever results at SW Fairtrade Business Awards
- Do lemurs love chocolate? New study to understand primate use of cacao plantations in Madagascar
- Four prizes as UWE Bristol is star performer at Green Gown Awards 2016
- UWE Bristol opts for 100% green electricity consumption
- Green motoring status awarded to UWE for electric vehicle commitment
- "They were so friendly and so kind and they really helped me out..."