FAQs for staff

Answers to popular queries about car parking on UWE Bristol campuses for staff. Please also refer to FAQs for all drivers.

What are the criteria for allocating a permit?

All staff with a University payroll number can apply for a parking permit. If you don't have a university payroll number - or if you're a contractor - please email us for assistance.

Can I get a refund on my permit if I no longer need it?

If you want to withdraw from the scheme, you can do so at any time. Just return your permit to car parking, building 650, who will arrange to cancel your payments.

Unfortunately, we can't refund any payments, so please send us your permit as soon as you decide you no longer need it.

Are there any discounts on car parking?

If you're contractually needed to work a shift pattern that partly covers the car parking charge window of 9:00 – 17:00 (ie starting before 7:30 and/or ending after 20:00, as confirmed by their line manager), you'll get a 50% discount on these costs, due to limited public transport options that are available at these times.

Grade A contract

In line with the University’s commitment to the living wage campaign, staff on a UWE Bristol contract at grade A will not have to pay a charge – although they will still need to apply for a permit.

How does a salary sacrifice scheme work? Will it affect my NI contributions, tax or credits?

From Saturday 1 April, the government is limiting the range of benefits in kind, which provide a tax and National Insurance Contributions advantage under salary sacrifice. Car parking is one of the benefits that is affected and all staff who wish to enter the scheme from April 2017 will have the fee deducted from monthly earnings as a net deduction.

If you applied before April 2017, changes will not take effect until April 2018.

Will salary sacrifice affect my pension?

Salary sacrifice schemes may be used by someone in any of the pension schemes at the University. Staff in the LGPS and USS will have their pension contributions calculated on their pre-sacrifice pay whereas those in the TPS scheme will have theirs based on post-sacrificed pay, ie after the money for car parking charges has been deducted.

So, for those in the LGPS and USS schemes, their pension contributions, and hence pension entitlements, will not be affected and they will benefit from the salary sacrifice scheme. Those in the TPS scheme will benefit from the salary sacrifice scheme, but may be affected by slightly reduced pension contributions.

What happens if I lose my permit?

Please let us know as soon as possible. You'll need to park within the unrestricted car parks until you get a replacement card.

I would like to car share occasionally - which permit do I need to apply for?

The only requirement - in addition to displaying a normal permit or token for car sharing - is that a passenger is present when parking.

What do I do if my car share partner is away? Can I bring my car in?

Yes. But if the permit is registered to your vehicle and you don't have a passenger, you won't be allowed to park in a car share space.

If the permit is registered to your car share partner’s vehicle, then you’ll need to find an alternative way to campus until they return. We’re looking at options for flexible car share permits, so please watch this space.

I have a courtesy car or personal hire care for a few days - what should I do?

If you're a permit holder, please transfer the permit from your registered vehicle to the courtesy/hire car, along with an explanatory note.

If you do not have a permit, you must apply in the usual way.

I have changed my car - do I need to re-apply for a permit?

No, please email Car Parking with your old and new vehicle details, along with your staff pay number and we'll arrange a new pass for you.
Please note you'll need to do this at least five working days in advance of bringing your new vehicle to campus. We'll then send your new permit in the internal mail.

If I have a temporary disability - what can I do to make parking easier?

Please contact Human Resources and they'll arrange support for you.

Can I register more than one vehicle on a permit?

Yes. You can list a maximum of two vehicles.

I normally walk or cycle, but I want to drive when the weather is bad - will I be able to park?

You will need to apply for a permission to park permit and then buy daily parking tokens.

To apply for a permission to park permit:

Email carparking@uwe.ac.uk with your registration and your office address so we can post the permit to you.

Where do I buy daily car parking tokens from?

Frenchay Campus - East reception, SU shops, The Street.

Glenside Campus - Information Point and Traders.

Bower Ashton - Reception, Information Point and SU Shop.


Contact us

Car Parking and Transport Services
University of the West of England
Coldharbour Lane
BS16 1QY

Email: carparking@uwe.ac.uk

Telephone: +44 (0)117 32 81222
Fax: +44 (0)117 32 83633

Back to top