FAQs – undergraduate courses

If I study for an Early Childhood Studies or Education Studies degree will I qualify for Qualified Teacher Status (QTS)

No, these degree subjects are broader and not focused solely towards practical teaching. If you do decide on teaching as a career once you have completed one of these courses you can apply for the PGCE Upper Primary (with Education Studies) or PGCE Primary Early Years (with Early Childhood Studies), providing you meet all the entry criteria.

What’s the difference between the Education Studies + PGCE (3+1) and the Primary Education ITE course?

The course is a rewarding four year route into teaching for those who wish to teach children between the ages of 7–11. Students follow a specific pathway through the Education Studies Degree and those who achieve a minimum of a 2:1 degree classification, evidence a commitment to a career in teaching and are able to demonstrate suitability to be a teacher are offered planned progression on to a postgraduate programme of study which leads to Qualified Teacher Status. Currently this is the Upper Primary PGCE Programme.

What if I don’t have maths, English or science at GCSE?

It is a national requirement for Initial Teacher Education and PGCE Primary participants to have maths, English and science at GCSE Grade C or equivalent. It is possible to apply for the course while still studying for these awards, but any offer would be conditional on passing at the required grade before starting the course. It may be possible to take an equivalency test in these subjects (which would be offered AFTER a successful interview) but you should bear in mind that there will be no tutor support for equivalency tests so a taught class at college may be a safer route. Equivalency tests are not formal qualifications and are not transferrable between institutions.

Do I need specific A-levels to apply for one of the ITE courses?

We would look at your overall tariff points in the first instance. An A-level in at least one National Curriculum subject is advantageous (and it is essential for the 3+1 course). We also accept the CACHE diploma and BTEC qualifications, as well as some Access diplomas.

I’m working abroad when the ITE interviews are being held. Can I be interviewed remotely, via telephone, Skype or webcam?

There is no alternative to an in-person interview for the teaching courses at UWE Bristol. They are an interactive process involving interviews, tests and group work.

How can I make my application for an ITE course stand out?

The ITE courses are very popular and heavily over-subscribed, so variety and relevance of experience with children and in a range of schools is essential in showing that you understand what is involved and will help to strengthen your application. If you have carried out your experience overseas you will also need to spend time in a school in the UK, in a classroom relevant to your chosen age phase or subject.

Can I choose the location of my placement schools?

Our main priority is to ensure that we are able to offer a range of high quality placements. We work in partnership with schools in the Bristol area and all over the South West. Prior to beginning the course you will be asked to provide information about where you live and circumstances such as transport and dependents, to inform our selection of placements during the course. Our Partnership and Placements office works hard to match students to available placements taking into account personal circumstances. However, this is not always possible and you will need to be prepared to travel.

Back to top