What to expect from the International Talent Scheme
The UWE Bristol International Talent Scheme is a great way to add international experience to your team. It’s business-friendly and hassle free.
How we help you
Our specialist consultants provide a free service to business, helping you to:
- Discuss your opportunity and the type of student you are looking for –what skills they should have, language requirements, country knowledge, subject studied etc.
- Find suitable students for your opportunity – this could involve targeting specific undergraduate and postgraduate courses, liaising with relevant academics, or marketing your opportunity directly to groups of students in order to provide a choice of applicants.
- Provide advice on selection and recruitment processes as required – including advice on market rates of student pay based on our professional knowledge of the student and graduate labour market.
Experiences need to be valuable to the student as well as your business, so you’ll need to consider:
- Structure – to help the student to define objectives and to plan activities for their work experience.
- Induction – we suggest that you provide the student with a suitable induction, and provide feedback during their work experience.
- Communication – inform us of any difficulties at an early stage and whether we can help resolve them.
- Working hours – if you recruit a student from outside the EU, they are able to work a total of 20 hours per week during term time and unlimited hours during vacations under the conditions of their student visa.
- Payment – should be contracted between the student and the employer, as with any other employee.
- Terms and Conditions – when students are paid, they become employees of the business and are therefore subject to their host's terms and conditions of employment.
- Policies – paid students have the same responsibilities as any other employee and will be subject to the employer's normal policies eg disciplinary and grievance procedures.