Laboratory Scientist Degree Apprenticeship (LSDA)
The Laboratory Scientist Degree Apprenticeship (LSDA) has been developed by employers to deliver the professional laboratory scientist and analytical skills your organisation's needs.
Please note: The Laboratory Scientist Degree Apprenticeship will run from September 2018.
What is the Laboratory Scientist Degree Apprenticeship?
The LSDA is a new way to strengthen your workforce, guiding learners to develop a portfolio of practical and professional capabilities – with all fees funded through the Apprenticeship Levy.
The programme is designed to expand the knowledge, analytical skills and communication abilities of your employees. They will receive the support and mentoring from leading applied science professionals and access our state-of-the-art facilities.
The LSDA is currently the only laboratory scientist higher apprenticeship offered in the South West, combining a university degree with on-the-job training, and a focus on professional development.
Who is the Laboratory Scientist Degree Apprenticeship for?
- The LSDA is suitable for existing talent within your organisation and new recruits to your workforce.
- It is for employees who are keen to begin or further develop their career in the chemical and pharmaceutical sciences by gaining a full university degree in a work-based environment.
- Use the LSDA to develop the professional laboratory and analytical skills of your existing workforce and attract high-calibre new recruits.
How will your business benefit?
The LSDA maximises your investment in the Apprenticeship Levy, delivering a fully funded university degree on chemical sciences and work-based learning with a spotlight on professional development.
Learners will develop practical laboratory and analytical skills, and apply their knowledge in the workplace – so your business will benefit throughout the programme. Your organisation will also have the full support of our experienced academic community of leading applied science professionals, helping you to create and make the most of new opportunities.
Why UWE Bristol?
- The LSDA is currently the only laboratory scientist higher apprenticeship in the South West.
- The LSDA is provided by UWE Bristol’s Department of Applied Sciences which has a renowned reputation in the chemical sciences. The department continues to invest in its range of well-equipped scientific laboratories and specialist facilities, and contributes to world-leading research in analytical science.
- The programme offers a flexible combination of on-site and virtual learning environments, using the newest technology found in commercial laboratories.
- You will be supported by our experienced academic community. We will work closely with you to create and maximise opportunities, building on our strengths and expertise in forensic and chemical science, and research and postgraduate opportunities.
LSDA course details
- Chemistry in context
- Analytical skills
- Pathophysiology of disease
- Anatomy and physiology
- Pharmaceutical sciences
- Instrumental analytical science
- Medicinal chemistry
- Scientific practice
- Professional aspects of laboratory sciences
Read more about the approved LSDA apprenticeship Standard on the Gov.uk website.
Professional registration and accreditation
Qualification: Level 5 – FdSc Laboratory Sciences
Duration and delivery
The standard programme can be completed in two years via day release. This will involve a variety of lectures, tutorials and practical classes on campus with access to the University Blackboard system.
Please note: The Laboratory Scientist Degree Apprenticeship will run from September 2018 onwards.
Learners will also continue to develop their skills in the workplace, using designated time to focus on their specialised professional competencies. Blended learning techniques will be used to support this on-the-job training to ensure that every apprentice understands the underpinning science fully, and can apply their knowledge in practice.
Typical entry requirements
Prospective learners should have
- GCSE Grade C or above in English Language, Mathematics and Double Science
- A-level Grade C or above in Chemistry or Biology plus a pass in another science subject.
They must be in employment as a Higher Apprentice (as defined by the Department of Education) within a workplace that can support the work-based portfolio (as defined by the Laboratory Scientist Degree Apprenticeship Standard).
This apprenticeship Standard has been allocated a maximum funding cap of £27,000, which is the anticipated full cost for delivering FdSc Laboratory Sciences and the end point assessment. This means that the programme and qualification are covered in full by the Apprenticeship Levy.
Contact the Degree Apprenticeship Team
To find out more about the LSDA, or for more information about the Levy and Degree Apprenticeships, please email our Degree Apprenticeships Team: email@example.com or call us on +44 (0)117 32 81043.