What is a Fairtrade University?
To achieve Fairtrade University status, the University authorities and the Students' Union (SU) together agreed a Fairtrade policy incorporating these five goals:
- Fairtrade foods are made available for sale in all campus shops.
- Fairtrade foods are used in all cafes/restaurants/bars on all campuses. Where this is not possible, there is a commitment to begin to use Fairtrade foods in these establishments as soon as it becomes possible to do so.
- Fairtrade foods (for example, coffee and tea) are served at all meetings hosted by the University and the SU, and are served in all University and SU management offices.
- There is a commitment to campaign for increased Fairtrade consumption on campus.
- Co-ordinate a Fairtrade supporters group.
UWE achieved these goals and was granted the status of Fairtrade University during April 2006. In view of our ongoing progress this status was renewed in 2011 for further two years.