What is a Fairtrade University?
To achieve Fairtrade University status, the University authorities and the Students' Union (SU) together agreed a Fairtrade policy incorporating these five goals:
- Fairtrade foods are made available and actively marketed for sale in all campus shops.
- Fairtrade foods are used in all cafes/restaurants/bars on all campuses. Where this is not possible, there is a commitment to begin to use Fairtrade foods in these establishments as soon as it becomes possible to do so. We also work hard to source ethical suppliers.
- Fairtrade coffee, tea and sugar are sold at all catering outlets and served at all meetings hosted by the University and the SU.
- There is a commitment to campaign for increased Fairtrade consumption on campus.
- Co-ordinate a joint UWE/UWESU Fairtrade supporters group to progress the agenda year on year.
UWE achieved these goals and was first granted the status of Fairtrade University in April 2006. In view of our ongoing progress, this status has since been renewed.