UWE Bristol history timeline
We have a history built on partnerships and collaborations dating back to 1595. Over the years UWE Bristol has continued this tradition in order to grow and transform itself to meet the demands of modern day students and higher education teaching.
In the beginning
- 1595 - Bristol Society of Merchant Venturers'
Navigation School is founded.
- 1853 - Establishment of the Bristol School of
Practical Art, which became part of the Royal West of England
Academy when it was granted its royal charter by Edward VII.
- 1894 - Bristol Society of Merchant Venturers'
Navigation School becomes Merchant Venturers' Technical College,
which occupied premises in Unity Street, Bristol. The College
provided the nucleus for Bristol Polytechnic (UWE).
- 1949 - Transferred to the Bristol City Education Authority. The College was then divided into the Bristol College of Commerce (Unity Street) and the Bristol College of Technology (Ashley Down).
- 1960 - The College of Technology was divided
into two, the Bristol College of Science and Technology, and the
Bristol Technical College. In 1965, the Bristol College of Science
and Technology gained university status and moved to Bath.
- 1969 - Bristol Polytechnic sites at Unity Street, Bower Ashton (West of England College of Art) and Ashley Down open.
- 1970 - Plans to develop the Coldharbour Lane
(Frenchay) site are revealed. The Bristol Technical College is
further divided into Brunel Technical College (lower level courses)
and Bristol Polytechnic (higher level courses). The former West of
England College of Art is also incorporated within the Polytechnic.
- 1974 - Responsibility for the Polytechnic
passed to the newly-formed Avon County Council. Ashley Village
student accommodation opens on Frenchay Campus.
- 1975 - Frenchay Campus officially opens.
- 1976 - Redland College and St Matthias College
merge with Bristol Polytechnic to form six major locations, at
Ashley Down, Bower Ashton, Frenchay, Redland, St Matthias and Unity
- 1977 - Students' Union, Student Services and
NatWest bank buildings open at Frenchay.
- 1978 - St Matthias Campus becomes part of Bristol Polytechnic.
- 1989 - The Education Reform Act 1988 removed polytechnics from local authority control, reconstituting the Polytechnic as a Higher Education Corporation controlled by an independent Board of Governors.
- 1991 - Q Block opens at Frenchay Campus (the
Faculty of the Built Environment move in from Ashley Down, Unity
Street and St Matthias).
- 1992 - Bristol Polytechnic gains university
status, becoming the University of the West of England (UWE).
- 1996 - Bath and Swindon Colleges of Health,
and Avon and Gloucester College of Health open at Glenside Campus.
Bolland Library is extended.
- 1997 - Hartpury College becomes an Associate Faculty.
2000 and beyond
- 2001 - Redland Campus closes: S Block (New
Redland Education Building) opens on Frenchay Campus.
- 2002 - R Block (Architecture Studios) opens on
Frenchay Campus. Flight simulator is installed (Bristol Institute
- 2006 - The Student
Village and Centre for
Sport open on Frenchay Campus.
- 2008 - investment in a new
- 2008 -
Bower Ashton Campus redevelopment completed and given
environmental accolade by Bristol Civic Society.
- 2009 - New
Exhibition and Conference Centre opens for business on Frenchay
R Block extension opens - our flagship sustainable
- 2012 - Bristol Robotics Laboratory opened
by Rt hon David Willetts MP.
- 2012 - UWE Bristol
International College opens on Frenchay Campus.
- 2012 - The Media Hub
opens on Bower Ashton Campus, showcasing our presence in media
and journalism education.
- 2012 - A new £40m
stadium is announced in partnership with Bristol Rovers
- 2013 - Planning approved for UWE Bristol's New Campus Masterplan.
- 2014 - St Matthias Campus closes as part of the UWE Bristol New Campus Masterplan.