Fairtrade delivers many benefits to producers and consumers around the globe, below are some facts and figures.*
- The Fairtrade system currently works with over 1.5 million farmers and workers.
- There are 1,210 Fairtrade producer organisations across 74 developing countries.
- 25 per cent of all Fairtrade farmers and workers are women.
- 1.5 hectares is the average size of the plot cultivated by a Fairtrade farmer.
- Cocoa producers invest 46 per cent of the Fairtrade premium in improving productivity and quality.
Fairtrade UK sales
- Over £23 million worth of Fairtrade Premium was generated in sales in the UK.
- 78 per cent of consumers recognise the Fairtrade mark.
- Fairtrade products are now sold in more than 120 countries.
- The Fairtrade mark is the most widely-recognised ethical label globally.
Fairtrade campaigners in the UK
- Fairtrade is a growing campaign movement with more than 550 Fairtrade towns, almost 900 Fairtrade schools and 170 Fairtrade universities, and more than 7,000 Fairtrade faith groups.
- In May 2014 more than 70,000 people from across the UK joined the Fairtrade Foundation in calling on the UK Government to intervene in supermarket price wars. These are trapping tens of thousands of banana farmers in an unrelenting cycle of poverty. Our students helped to make this happen.
*source - The Fairtrade Foundation.