Energy and water
We can already see the impacts of climate change and these will become more severe as global temperatures rise. How great the impacts will become depends upon our success in reducing greenhouse gas emissions.
2020 strategy targets:
- The University to be a Carbon Neutral campus by 2040, ie reducing and/or avoiding carbon emissions so that only unavoidable emissions are offset.
- Each faculty and service to have its own carbon budget so that individual areas can take responsibility for their energy usage.
- The University to achieve a 20% reduction in supplied water use by 2020
These are challenging targets particularly in view of our growth in campus facilities and student accommodation, but they are essential in order to significantly reduce our emissions. We can already see the impacts of climate change and these will only become more severe as global temperatures rise. How great the impacts will become depends upon our success in reducing greenhouse gas emissions.
Currently we spend approximately £5 million per year on energy and water services; we are working to reduce this, with resultant environmental and cost benefits. To this end UWE Bristol has committed to:-
- 22.5% total absolute reduction of carbon by 2020 over 2005 baseline
- 50% relative reduction of energy (area and weather adjusted) by 2020 over 2005 baseline
- 10% and 5% of the university’s electricity and gas consumption respectively to be generated from on, or near, site low or zero carbon technologies by 2020
- 20% reduction (from 2011/2 baseline) in supplied water use by end of 2019/2020.
What we are doing to meet the targets
- Monitoring and measuring energy and water consumption with over 300 sub meters across the campuses
- Using real time water consumption data coupled with cutting edge gamification for android phones and the web, working to change the behaviour of students in our new accommodation housing 400 people
- Embedding energy efficiency as a core requirement for all build projects and refurbishments
- Specific energy efficiency projects such as: lighting upgrades to LED and improved lighting controls, draught-proofing, BMS Controls, insulation and heating system upgrades
- Strategic projects to maximise opportunities for emissions reduction of the current infrastructure and new building works being carried out as part of the Masterplan
- Renewable projects including a large solar photovoltaic (PV) array at the Frenchay Campus
- Rolling programme of installation of dual flush toilets and automatic taps to save water.
What You Can Do
- Initiate and/or take part in student and staff energy saving campaigns and initiatives
- Take responsibility for equipment in your area and switch off lights, PCs and projectors
- If you see energy or water wastage, let us know by contacting the 222 Helpdesk or email email@example.com
- Be energy and water aware when purchasing or using equipment .
Student support and projects
We are keen for students to use the University as a living learning laboratory. We can support you by providing information and giving interviews on current policy and practice and short tours of R2 building. Many of your queries may be answered by referring to the energy web-pages before approaching us. If you can’t find out what you need, contact the energy team firstname.lastname@example.org