Purpose and ambition
Our core purpose, our ambition, our strengths and our values. These are the things that underpin the way we work with our students, staff and partners at UWE Bristol, and that guide the way we develop as a university, as outlined in our Strategy 2020.
Our core purpose
Advancing knowledge, inspiring people, transforming futures.
To be a university recognised for the success and impact of our professionally-recognised and practice-oriented programmes; our strong industry networks and connections; our agile ways of working; and our inclusive and global outlook and approach.
We are a university for the real world. This is evident in:
- the lengths we go to, to equip and prepare our students for their future
- our strong links with over 1,000 employers to ensure our courses meet industry and professional needs
- the influential research we’re leading, to address pressing local and global issues
- our well-established services for businesses and strong reputation for supporting innovation and growth
- the active part we play in the development of the Bristol city-region and the South West.
- Ambitious. We’re not afraid to shape, challenge and tackle the big issues, to take the initiative and pave the way. To set our sights high for ourselves and our students.
- Innovative. We create new opportunities for the people who work and study with us. We embrace different ideas and pioneer new and better ways of doing things.
- Connected. We have strong connections, both close to home and around the world. Networks and communities feed into, and enhance, everything we do as a university.
- Enabling. We instil a thirst for new knowledge, its creation and application, and help people and organisations to be the best they can be.
- Inclusive. We invest in making UWE Bristol a supportive and inspiring place to learn and work – somewhere where diversity of experience and perspective is encouraged, and learning and research is accessible to as many people as possible.