UWE Bristol Learning and Teaching Conference
Discover what happened at our annual Learning and Teaching Conference, which was held on Tuesday 21 June 2016.
Our annual Learning and Teaching Conference enables our staff and partners to hear experts on a key theme, collaborate, network and share excellent practice. This year’s theme was Teaching Excellence.
Our Learning and Teaching Fellows and Associate Fellows regularly contribute to the conference and showcase their own research and pedagogic practice.
This year we were delighted to welcome Professor Ray Land from Durham University, who inspired everyone with his keynote speech on transformative learning and threshold concepts.
In another keynote, Professor Myra Conway from UWE Bristol's Faculty of Health and Applied Sciences (HAS) explored the importance of pedagogic research and research informed teaching in her ‘Inspiring Moment’. Gerry Rice, also from HAS, demonstrated the importance of connected curricula in delivering teaching excellence.
We also heard from students Harry West (FET) and Marcela Usmari Moraes (HAS), who explained what motivates them (and others) to learn.
These quotes demonstrate how the conference inspired and encouraged our staff and partners in their own teaching practice:
- "I am encouraged by the breadth of study possible at UWE Bristol, and sheer pride and exuberance with which presenters talked about their work."
- "So many practical examples of good practice and creativity that are working really well."
- "Inspiring listening to students who have engaged and achieved."
- "Ray Land was particularly inspiring and gave a superb overview."
- "(Professor Myra Conway was) enthusiastic about research-informed teaching."
View videos and resources from the conference
Watch recordings, view presentations, and download posters from this year's conference. Access conference resources.
Conference videos include
- Keynote speeches from UWE Bristol's Professor Myra Conway and Gerry Rice, and Durham University's Professor Ray Land.
- What our students Harry West and Marcela Usmari Moraes think.
- The latest UWE Bristol developments in Learning and Teaching and 2020 strategy with Professor Jane Harrington and Professor Martin Boddy.