Student Support and Wellbeing Services (SSW) Data Privacy Statement
This statement applies to services given to students, applicants and other clients, by us, the University of the West of England, Student Support and Wellbeing Services (Access West of England, Disability Service and Wellbeing Service).
We will process your non-sensitive and sensitive personal data in line with the UWE Bristol Data Protection Policy. We will hold your data securely in accordance with the conditions of the 1998 Data Protection Act and from 25 May 2018 the General Data Protection Regulation and not make it available to any third party unless permitted or required to do so by law. The University’s Data Controller is the Pro Vice-Chancellor (Commercial Director and Corporation Secretary).
Your information will be held confidentially by the team you receive a service from, but may be shared within Student Support and Wellbeing Services at times when sharing of information would enhance the quality of the service available to you.
We will only use your non-sensitive and sensitive personal data for the purposes of providing:
- Study Needs Assessment
- Specialist Mentoring and Study Skills Support
- SpLD/dyslexia diagnosis
- arranging Reasonable Adjustments including disability advice
- counselling or mental health support
- monitoring, evaluating, auditing and developing our services – data will be anonymised
- responses to any complaints you make about our services.
We will only share relevant items of your information with appropriately trained UWE Bristol staff and organisations outside of UWE Bristol, where it is necessary to fulfill these purposes and in line with professional ethical guidelines. This may include:
- If you book an appointment indirectly through other UWE Bristol services, the information you provide will be initially processed, and viewable by limited Student Services staff.
- Liaising with academic staff or other professional services (eg Accommodation Services, Infopoint staff, or Student Support Advisors) where necessary, for delivering the service(s) you have requested.
- For students attending programmes which require placement or work experience activities, if your impairment, medical condition or specific learning difficulty impact on your practice, or the way others may experience your practice, we will help you to inform your programme leader or will do so on your behalf if you are unable to do so.
- Your non-sensitive and sensitive personal information may include that given to us by third parties, for example your doctor.
Otherwise, we will only share information we have about you if we have permission or if:
- It is required by law.
- It is required for medical reasons.
- We have reasonable belief that you have breached the University’s regulations or policies.
- There is a serious risk of harm to yourself or to others.
We will keep your data for up to six years after the end of the academic year in which you last used our services, after which it will be confidentially destroyed.
Accessing your information
- You may gain access to your non-sensitive and sensitive personal information by completing the Data Protection Subject Access Request Form.
- You can ask us to correct any errors in the information we have about you.
- You may opt out of any further contact with us.
- You have the right to withdraw consent at any time.
How to contact us
Student Services Administration Office, University of the West of England, Frenchay Campus, Coldharbour Lane, Bristol BS16 1QY.
Telephone: +44 (0) 117 32
Queries regarding any aspect of this statement
should be directed in writing to the Data Protection Officer, UWE
Bristol, Frenchay Campus, Coldharbour Lane Bristol, BS16 1QY.
Email enquiries should be directed to email@example.com.
Version 2.0: Date published 28/09/2017