If you’re a high performing athlete, UWE Bristol offers exceptional opportunities and support for you through the UWE High Performance Athlete Group.
About the UWE High Performance Athlete Group
The UWE High Performance Athlete Group is a specialist scheme which supports top performing athletes whose sport fits within the British Universities and Colleges Sport (BUCS) framework. With a range of bursaries and a team of dedicated sports performance staff to support you along the way, you can rest assured knowing you have come to the right place.
Benefits of the scheme
- Various levels of sports bursaries offering financial support for accommodation and tuition fees.
- Free access to physio and massage therapy services.
- Tailored nutritional advice.
- Video analysis.
- One-on-one, strength and conditioning training to improve your fitness.
How the scheme works
The UWE High Performance Athlete Group has two distinct pathways to support athletes taking part in partner and non-partner sports.
Athletes in the following partner sports will be supported through managed partnerships with clubs:
In addition to UWE High Performance, International students can also apply for the Excellence in Sport Scholarship, part of the UWE Scholarship Programme.
- Basketball - Bristol Flyers
- Hockey – Internal and England Hockey National Performance Centre athletes
- Men’s Rugby Union – Bristol Rugby Football Club
- Netball - England Netball
- Rowing – Internal and Talented Athlete Scholarship Scheme athletes
- Squash – Elitesquash
- Swimming - United Bristol
- Water Polo - Bristol Central Water Polo
- Women’s Football – Bristol Academy Women’s Football Club
Athletes not competing in a partner club sport, but are part of the BUCS framework are also eligible for support through the UWE High Performance scheme. See the full list of sports available on the BUCS website.
Athletes in this category are typically individual sport performers, who have a high probability of earning points or achieving a podium finish in a BUCS championship. Applications are judged by a panel according to a number of criteria. Please see UWE High Performance (formerly EliteUWE) for non-partner sports for further information. Rory Kavanagh is one of our current elite athletes.
How to apply
As soon as you are considering studying at UWE Bristol, register your interest in the UWE High Performance Athlete Group and bursaries by completing the scholarship application form.
Once the form has been reviewed by us, you may be either accepted onto the programme or asked to attend an interview with UWE Bristol or a partner club.
- Funding is at the discretion of the Centre for Sport and its external partners, and is subject to individual contracts and service level agreements.
- We do not currently provide bursary funding to athletes in equestrian related sports.
If you have any questions about the UWE High Performance scheme, please contact us.