ISO 14001 Environmental Management System
Embedding continuous improvement
UWE Bristol is proud to have been awarded its first certification for the international standard BS:EN ISO14001:2004 in July 2014. The certification covered the whole institution, our Estates, Services and Educational provision. In July 2016 we again achieved certification, and in 2017 we begin the process of transitioning to the ISO14001:2015 standard.
Achieving aims through a systemic approach
The aims of the standard are to build on, embed, and ensure our continuous improvement in managing the University’s environmental impact. This requires us to take a systemic approach to identify:
- those operations and activities which have significant impact on our environment
- the relevant compliance obligations which includes environmental legislation with which we need to comply, to improve our performance on a year by year basis.
Frequent audits to achieve successful implementation
To ensure successful implementation we undertake regular internal audits. As well as checking our progress under the ISO standard, the audits provide a vehicle to:
- promote both the overall aims of UWE Bristol’s sustainability plan 2013–2020
- promote the ongoing work of the Sustainability team – in particular as to how we can support departments to make necessary changes
- facilitate greater integration of Estates, Services, teaching, learning, and research in order to enhance the quality of the student experience at UWE Bristol.
For more information please read the Sustainability Plan 2013–2020 ‘Positive Footprint: phase 2.
If you have any further questions, please email lead auditor Louise Finch at Louise3.Finch@uwe.ac.uk or telephone +44(0)117 32 87207.