ISO 14001 Environmental Management System
Embedding continuous improvement
UWE Bristol is proud to have been awarded its first certification for the international standard BS:EN ISO14001:2004 in July 2014, one of only a small number of UK universities. The certification covered the whole institution, our Estates, Services and Educational provision. In July 2015 we again achieved certification, and in 2016 we begin the process of seeking certification under the new revised 2015 standard.
Achieving aims through a systemic approach
The aims of the standard are to build on, embed, and ensure our continuous improvement in sustainability on campus in accordance with a detailed framework. This requires us to take an all UWE Bristol systemic approach to identify:
- Those operations and activities which have significant impact on our environment.
- The relevant environmental legislation with which we need to comply, to improve our performance on a year by year basis.
Frequent audits to achieve successful implementation
To ensure successful implementation we are undertaking regular internal audits. As well as checking our progress under the ISO standard, the audits provide a vehicle to:
- Promote both the overall aims of UWE Bristol’s sustainability plan 2013 - 2020
- Promote the ongoing work of the Sustainability team – in particular as to how we can support departments to make necessary changes
- Facilitate greater integration of Estates, Services, teaching, learning, and research in order to enhance the quality of the student experience at UWE Bristol.
For more information please read the Sustainability Plan 2013 - 2020 ‘Positive Footprint: phase 2.
If you have any further questions, please email Sophie Prosser firstname.lastname@example.org or call +44 (0)117 3287601.