Get involved in sustainability
UWE Bristol has over 25,000 students and 3,000 staff and together we are working to make sustainability a reality at UWE Bristol.
For students – the Green team and more
- Get informed and active with The Student Union Green Team – with over 1,400 students signed up and active projects and campaigns there is sure to be something for you
- Make your ideas a reality; put forward an idea at Student Ideas or apply for up to £500 funding from Change for Change or become a member of the Green Team committee
- If you are a member of a sports club you can apply for a Greener Futures award
- Get involved in oversight and monitoring of the University’s Carbon Management plan, its Ethical investment policy and its all-encompassing Sustainability Plan for 2020; email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Want more sustainability in the curriculum? Talk to your tutors direct and/or contact Tom Ball at email@example.com for support
- Join in with UWE Big Green Week in October and Fairtrade Fortnight in February/March
- Join in with ‘Reduce the Juice’, ‘Say not to Plastics’ and ‘Cut food waste’ campaigns
- Take part in green projects such as GreenSpace and Green School ambassadors with UWE Bristol Volunteering.
- Grow your own vegetables on campus at the Community Garden
Be inspired! Watch our Green Team film.
For staff and students - UWE sustainability network
Across the University there is an informal network of over 500 people who are interested in improving the way we do things. Anyone can get involved either as an individual or as a representative of a group/area.
The network is supported by the sustainability team, and meet regularly to exchange experiences, good practices and news. Contact the Sustainability Team to find out what is going on, sign up to the monthly email, invite a member of the team to come and talk to your staff or student group or/and come to an event.
You can also engage with the Sustainability Team via our social media channels. We'd love to hear from you on:
Making sustainability a reality
Here are some of the ways that students and staff are making a difference:
- taking part in inductions in Freshers’ Week and at other times in the year
- working with Hospitality Services and The Students' Union to increase vegan and vegetarian menu options
- running swap shops on all campuses
- acting as ambassadors for Fairtrade and holding events in Fairtrade Fortnight
- carrying out green office audits and using our online induction to support sustainable behaviours
- promoting the #Saynotoplastics campaign on campus to reduce single use plastics
- volunteering during Big Green Week in October and Go Green Week in February.
We always need help. If you want to gain experience in communications and marketing, running campaigns and events, contact Vicki Harris at firstname.lastname@example.org.