Equality and Diversity Mentoring Scheme
An exciting opportunity has arisen for staff to participate in a mentoring scheme in 2014 that focuses on equality and diversity. The scheme is being developed to equip current and future managers with the skills to promote, develop and enhance the student and staff experience.
Benefits of the scheme
Benefits for mentees:
- Gain knowledge and understanding of the experiences and perspectives of under-represented groups of staff with protected characteristics, ie LGBT, BME staff.
- Develop understanding of the barriers to gaining employment and promotion within the University for under-represented groups.
- Stimulate creative thinking about how to develop diversity in the workforce, strategies for increasing diversity and how to be agents of change.
- Develop strong relationships across different staff groups – creating a cohesive workplace.
Benefits for mentors:
- Increased profile and recognition by management of knowledge and skills.
- Experience of being a mentor and contributing to the development of managers.
- Increased networks and understanding of management function.
- Opportunity to influence and educate management on aspects of diversity.
How to participate
If you are interested in becoming a mentor or mentee, please contact the Equality and Diversity Unit.